How Can I Keep My Bladder Healthy?
November is Bladder Health Month. While we most often don’t think of our bladder unless it’s urgently cuing us to use the restroom, our team at AFC Urgent Care Knoxville wants to share some insight this month about how to take optimal care of your bladder.
What Are the Most Common Bladder Problems?
There are a number of bladder health issues that often present in Americans. You might be surprised to note that you recognize most of them.
Common bladder health issues including urinary incontinence, urinary tract infections, overactive bladder and bladder cancer, among others. Fortunately, in most cases, these issues can be prevented.
Tips to Keep Your Bladder Healthy
- Drink enough fluids, especially water.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine.
- Quit smoking.
- Avoid constipation.
- Keep a healthy weight.
- Exercise regularly.
- Do pelvic floor muscle exercises.
- Use the bathroom often and when needed.
How Does Food Affect Your Bladder?
Just like with your stomach, there are certain foods that can help your bladder and certain foods that will irritate it. If you commonly deal with an overactive bladder or UTIs, you might want to steer clear of certain food irritants.
Coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, alcohol and spicy foods are all known bladder irritants, especially when consumed in large amounts.
Ways Food Can Help Bladder Health
- Up your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Drink enough amount of water to stay hydrated.
- Take in the proper amount of fiber daily.
- Avoid potential bladder irritants in your diet.
- Get the right amount of protein in your diet.
Are you dealing with bladder-related symptoms? Visit AFC Urgent Care Knoxville today for a medical evaluation and treatment plan!