Why Do Bugs Bite Us?
You know how they say, Don’t let the bed bugs bite!? Well, we have a new take on that saying—don’t let the summer bugs bite!
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Knoxville is here to offer you tips on how you can have fun this summer without bug bites.
Why Do We Get Bug Bites?
It really depends on which bugs we’re talking about. Mosquitoes and ticks bite because they need blood in order to survive. Other bugs, like spiders, bite when they feel they are in danger.
And finally, the bite of chiggers isn’t actually a bite at all. Chiggers actually attach to your skin, which is what causes your skin to itch.
Ways to Prevent Bug Bites
- Avoid mosquito hotspots.
- Wear light colors.
- Use insect repellent.
- Avoid walking through fields or wooded areas without long sleeves and pants.
- Remove standing water around your home.
How Can I Treat a Bug Bite?
If you’ve already been bitten by a bug, getting rid of the itch is probably the only thing you can think of. Fortunately, in most cases, you can treat bug bites effectively at home.
However, if your bug bite doesn’t improve and worsens over time—or if you are bitten by a tick, seek medical attention.
Ways to Treat Bug Bites
- After walking in a wooded or grassy area, shower and scrub immediately to get rid of chiggers.
- Apply OTC anti-itch or hydrocortisone cream.
- Place an ice pack on the bite.
- Try an OTC antihistamine.
Did you experience a really bad bug bite? Visit AFC Urgent Care Knoxville today for a medical evaluation to ensure proper diagnosis and treatment.